Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Studio VS. Apartment

As the end of my lease for the studio approaches..I started making a few observations...I think I prefer painting in my apartment then going to an actual studio...One of the biggest pros about having a studio is not cleaning up afterwards so you can pick up exactly where you left off the night before... another pro is if you are really tired you can get to the studio and you automatically go into work mode (than may vary from person to person)...Painting in the apartment? well I don't have to rush to make food so that I can go into the studio at a decent time...if I'm having a sleepless night I can start painting right that instant...if I get an idea and am eager to work on it, instead of waiting for the next time I'm at the studio I can start right there (although I can always do a rough sketch, but still)

Prepping for Sweet Tooth
I know some people find it hard to get right to work when you are at home because of so many distractions... my big factors are...when I paint, I turn off my cell phone for the most part.. its me time and no one else's...I haven't had cable in about 5 years so I don't have that distraction of TV shows or movies.. the only thing really is the internet.. but that comes in handy especially when you need reference pics for a project you are working on.. so all in all in my case.. I think painting in the apartment is the way to go.. some may disagree but then again, what works for me may not work for you.. oh and the biggest PRO is saving that extra $350 a month plus not having to pay two electric bills..The studio did fulfill its purpose, which was to help me further develop my style and to focus on a huge solo show I had back in Feb.. I also did learn that I was able to afford living on my own as well which was a crucial lesson considering the adventure I'm about to embark on...other than that I feel I am done with it and at the same time I'm grateful I had the experience of having a legit studio.

No comments: