Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Medium Transfer Experiment


The Experiment

The way I would usually go by doing a transfer in the past... I would rub graphite on the back of the image I vectored (I first start with a sketch then re draw it in illustrator) and after the wood or canvas background has been painted I then proceed to transfer the image...now this is a really tedious process, from rubbing to drawing over it again, then redrawing it once again to make sure that all the lines are there and are dark just in case I hit it with paint by accident ugh too much so I started doing some research and I knew there just had to be a easier way to transfer my images and still get sharp crisp lines and not loose to much detail...people have recommended silk screening, but the process of a burning screen for every single painting just felt like it was to much of a headache..mad props to Buffmonster for sure! I kept doing some research and I stumbled upon medium transfers...now there are many ways of doing this... out all the ways of doing transfers I tried the clear gesso technique, the matte medium technique and the third is the gel medium technique which I won't know the results until tomorrow.

The results? The matte medium worked the best, it was pretty much clean, very silk screened like... I was very surprised with the results.. the gesso? not so good, it didn't adhere to the wood that much and when I proceeded to rub off the paper the image came off as well..BOOOO!! tomorrow I will see how the gel medium works.. I hear its probably the best out of the three so we shall see.. another technique I want to try is the Caulk transfer, yes caulk! apparently you use it the same way you would use any of the above methods that were mentioned and it suppose to transfer the image right on..they mentioned elmer's squeeze and caulk but I couldn't find any at lowe's or home depot..I added pics so you can see the results... really exited to try this new method with one of my characters.. FYI I used laser copies, but I hear xerox copies work as well.

Matte Medium FTW!
The King! Hope this one is even better


1 comment:

Dreaming of Isis said...

Okay, today's Wednesday. I'm anxious to hear how it turned out. Pics please! I'm anxious to see what they look like, I'm interested in new techniques. I just wrote anxious twice, maybe I should take a clonopin....lol, just kidding, no seriously-

will check for updates later!