Saturday, December 4, 2010

Gay means happy




A few weekends ago I had my toy signing at this years Designer Con and it was also my first Con as well. I was a little nervous in the beginning but chilled out after a bit... as the day went by I got to meet more artists and started to mingle with people in general.

I was surprised to find out that there are, in fact, gay artists in the toy art scene. I'm not talking about customizers, people doing production pieces, or doing their own thing... I'm talking about the low brow/urban vinyl toy scene, etc. It was definitely an empowering thing to see, something I never really knew existed in this world.

Where am I going with this?

I've been told in the past that my personal life is a mystery. People know Project Detonate, but no one really knows who Yosiell is. Occasionally, I'll overhear speculation about whether or not I'm gay, and who I am is a big part of what I do. I'd like to set the record straight... err, whatever.


I came out to friends in 2001... pretty late in life, but in a Puerto Rican Catholic household that shit does not fly well. I grew up where being macho is the norm and gays go to hell. Even back East I didn't feel completely comfortable expressing who I was. I guess I was just halfways out... for example my old job, working in the beer industry where it's all titties and brews.  I wasn't sure if they would be keen about knowing that I'm gay.  Maybe it would have bugged a lot of the guys there (it was a predominately male atmosphere)... maybe not.


As I progress as an artist, I want people to see my work and know who I am. It wouldn't feel right shrouding any part of me behind a concern of losing friends or family. I see my fellow LGBT artists out and proud, doing their thing to the fullest... and I'm proud and happy to be doing the same!

5 comments:

wesofthedead said...

nice faiw shirt haha

Unknown said...

Yo! awesome man! Great post, now get back to work, you have a show coming up!

Rsin said...

Keep doing your thing man your killing it. Glad to see your move out west is treating you well.

Yosiell Lorenzo said...

Thanks ya'll it really means a lot!

Anonymous said...

hi m8 :) i see you have really beautiful blog, its very good that you have decided to share it for all the world
i want to offer you exchange banners or links ! i have also network of sweet boys photo blogs, here is some of them :
My Twink // Just Naked Boys // Sweet Muscle Boy
i know together we will get more people =)
- if you agree,write me please to @mail fire-bob@hotmail.com
thanks for attention!! cya !